San Francesco di Paola, 5th March 2016. The Delegation for Calabria of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George participated in the Pilgrimage, organized by the Order of Minims of the Religious Province of S. Maria della Stella, to the Sanctuary of Paola on the occasion of the VI Centenary of the birth of Saint Francis. The event was attended by the Regional Coordination of Sicily in addition to Religious, Tertiaries, Congregations, Devotees and the SMCOSG Delegations for Naples and Campania, Puglia and Basilicata, Sicily and Calabria. It is worth highlighting the ever intense devotion of the Royal House of Bourbon Two Sicilies for the Hermit Saint, worship of whom in 1738 led to the appointment of Saint Francis as the Patron Saint of the Kingdom by H.M. King Charles of Bourbon Two Sicilies who proclaimed him the heavenly Patron of Seafarers.
The programme done:
- 10.00 a.m., meeting at Paola and guided tour of the Sanctuary with entry into the Basilica through the Holy Door;
- 11.45 a.m., donation by the Delegation for Calabria of essential items donated by Esselunga S.p.A.;
- 12.00 p.m., Solemn Co-celebration of the Eucharist presided by His Eminence Msgr. Giuseppe Fiorini Morosini, Archbishop of Calabria – Bova;
- 1.30 p.m., packed lunch in the Pilgrim’s Hall;
- 3 p.m., visit to the house where Saint Francis was born;
- 4.45 p.m., visit to the Parish of San Nicola Saggio da Longobardi.