Gaeta, November 23, 2020 – The Delegate of Rome and Latium, HH Prince Lelio Niccolò Orsini d’Aragona, together with the Vice Delegate Count Riccardo Langosco and the Representative for the City of Gaeta, Lawyer Salvatore Scafetta, this morning has taken the floor at the inauguration ceremony of the new squares of the commercial port of Gaeta, built in an area of more than 70 thousand square meters by the North Central Tyrrhenian Sea Port System Authority.
The President of the Authority, Lawyer Francesco Maria Di Majo, titled the squares in honor of the last Sovereign of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, H.M. Queen Maria Sofia of Bourbon, born Von Wittelsbach, in memory of her love for Gaeta and the heroism shown, along with the army and citizens, during the siege of 1860-1861. The dedication to H.M. Maria Sofia, the “Soldier Queen”, also wants to symbolize the birth of a Gaeta-Bari maritime corridor where the Queen arrived by sea from the port of Trieste on February 1, 1859.
The Archbishop of Gaeta, Monsignor Luigi Vari, blessed the new works.
During his speech, Prince Orsini rejoiced at the historical sensitivity of President Di Majo and the City of Gaeta – fruit of this noble heritage – and read HRH’s greeting. The Duke of Castro and Grand Master of the Constantinian Order, who especially thanked the gesture of baptizing the squares in honor of H.M. the heroic Queen Maria Sofia, recalled the indissoluble bond that unites the Bourbon dynasty with the most faithful city of Gaeta.
H.E. the Prefect of Latina, Dr. Maurizio Falco; the President of the Finance Commission of the Chamber of Deputies Hon. Raffaele Trano, the MEP Hon. Matteo Adinolfi, the Councilor for the Sea Economy of the Municipality of Gaeta, Dr. Teodolinda Morini; the Commander of the Port of Gaeta, Captain of Fregata (CP) Federico Giorgi, Prof. Vera Mignano attended.